Here is a collection of words taken from several crossword
puzzles and brain teasers. Match wits with the puzzle
constructors and select the answer you think is correct.
1. pomp (n.) - A: self-assurance. B: fame. C: stately dis-
play. D: upswept hair style.
2. guru (n.) - A: African antelope. B: spiritual adviser.
C: gifted person. D: deceptive gambler.
3. retrench (v.) - A: to establish. B: economize. C: dig
out. D: fill in with earth.
4. precis (n.) - A: summary. B: correct method. C: advance
showing. D: prediction.
5. modish (adj.) - A: fashionable. B: temperamental.
C: snobbish. D: shy.
6. ilk (n.) - A: source. B: sickness. C: small group.
D: same kind.
7. medley (n.) - A: recurring theme. B: assortment of items.
C: average result. D: softness.
8. allay (n.) - A: to join. B: state to be true. C: calm.
D: retreat from.
9. prevail (v.) - A: to beg. B: prevent. C: grasp. D: tri-
10. dam (n.) - A: woman of nobility. B: great strength.
C: animal's female parent. D: counteraction.
11. askance (adv.) - with A: horror. B: suspicion.
C: awkwardness. D: coyness.
12. tinge (v.) - A: to burn. B: make a light, ringing sound.
C: color slightly. D: spoil or corrupt.
13. wan (adj.) - A: pale. B: tender. C: unexpressive.
14. bauble (n.) - A: foolish talk. B: small bubble.
C: social error. D: worthless trinket.
15. par (n.) - A: superior attainment. B: figure of speech.
C: smallness. D: average condition.
16. prig (n.) - person who is A: boring. B: self-righteous.
C: gossipy. D: witty.
17. riff (n.) - A: animation. B: rupture of a relationship.
C: disreputable person. D: repeated melodic phrase.
18. downy (adj.) - A: soft and fluffy. B: foolish and
flighty. C: somewhat seedy. D: languid or flabby.
19. mote (n.) - A: wide ditch. B: emotional outburst.
C: speck. D: act of shedding.
20. lulu (n.) - A: Polynesian feast. B: euphemism for wash-
room. C: lucky break. D: anything remarkable.